I started my career in construction research 30 yrs ago. I spent five (5) years as a road and bridge construction engineer in the field. I moved into urban planning and went to law school at night. Eventually I practiced and taught business law, zoning law, land use and intellectual property law.
When I started my firm Lemongrass Consulting in 2005, a small business counselor told me to get on the phone and make appointments to meet people. He said visualize it as though you are painting a bridge. You need not stop until you paint the entire bridge. You cannot leave the bridge partly painted.
Well, I got on the phone and got appointments. I also learned that I did not need appointments to confidently get into the right people’s faces. I just show up, introduce myself, ask for 5 minutes of their time, and confidently give my pitch.
The key here is to be sure to talk to “the right people”.
It took me awhile and with alot of trials and testing, I figured out the hard way who our ideal businses prospects are. In business, you have to have clarity on:
- what services or products folks need,
- what they are willing to pay,
- who the ideal willing and able buyers are, and
- your strategy to reach them.
We post who our ideal clients are on our website:
Our ideal clients are:
- chambers of commerce, business leagues, business associations
- business resource centers
- workforce development centers needing job readiness curriculum
- research universities that support start-ups, technology development, and technology transfer
- centers for entrepreneurship
- commercial business lending organizations
- small businesses with annual revenues of at least $250,000
This helps avoid wasting time. It does not mean that we would not assist others, but it helps us to focus and it helps us from being very busy with clients that cannot afford our services. This eliminates financial strain. We can serve and help smaller businesses by partnering with larger businesses. This is our strategy!
So, you get lists and you get to work contacting each with your pitch on why they should do business with you. If you need to train a group on business development or if you would be an ideal client, contact me.
Clovia Hamilton, MBA JD – President Lemongrass Consulting, Inc.