Many business owners get the WTH “what the heck” am I doing feeling from time to time. This probably occurs most frequently after getting rejected and the feelings of disappointment that follow. You may lose some of your confidence. It’s ok. The bottom line is that it is a signal to stop, reflect, plan a strategy, and implement a strategy.
To overcome the feelings of lost self-confidence and anxiety, here is a simple five (5) step plan:
- Start by writing down your statement of purpose – Always begin with seeking clarity and with having a clear mission in mind. Reflect on your career and your life and ask write down the answer to this question: “What are you passionate about?”
- Next, do a Self SWOT to list your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. This will give you a quick Strategic Plan outlook.
- Draft or hire someone to draft your written Business Plan.
- Draft or hire someone to draft a separate Marketing Plan.
- In alignment with your Business Plan and Marketing Plan, use a Daily Sales Activity Worksheet on a point system and a Weekly Marketing Checklist.
I’ve been in business for nearly 10 years and I’ve completed a number of business development training programs. Based on experience and training, in my opinion, to alleviate the WTH anxieties, it is best to stay busy with activity on the path of carrying out your written plans. Create a whirl of activity!
I like to envision a political campaign room that is filled with people and they are all on the phones trying to get donations. When I was a kid, I helped an Alderman in Chicago with his political campaign – – yes, illegal child labor (smile). I got a plaque award for it. I still have it. What I remember from that experience was the energy and the vitality in the room. We were motivated to get those donations. Business owners need to stay equally motivated to get new customers and clients.
With strategic plans, business plans, marketing plans, and activity worksheets, you will stay crazy busy and structured. The next challenge will be WTH to do about gaining work-life balance. You will need to balance your marketing and sales with your client work, personal self-care, and spending quality time with your family and friends!
By Clovia Hamilton, MBA JD – President
(c) 2014. All Rights Reserved. Lemongrass Consulting, Inc.